Thursday, February 15, 2007

Why are people still using dial up instead of broadband?

It continues to amaze me that in this day and age some people continue to use dial up. Are these the same people who show up in the statistics as the ones who still use black and white tv's and don't have indoor plumbing? Honestly, you might as well just go live under a rock. I understand not everyone uses the Internet as much as those of us in the blogging community, but how do people live that way? It's kind of barabaric.

Dial up is unbearably slow. Wether you use cable, dsl, satellite, or whatever your experience is so much better with a form of broadband. Who has time to wait hours for a 10 minute video to load? Or even to wait for pages to load? I prefer instant access when surfing the web. The cost is just too cheap not to make the upgrade. Whether here in the United States or in India, these days anyone can afford broadband. Black and white televisions are ancient technology and so is dial up. Get with the times and upgrade already.

4 comments:

marcel said...

Often, because we have no other choice.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, many communities, particularly in the countryside, still do not have ready access to broadband internet. Dail-up is the only option for many households on a budget that will not allow satellite.

DSL and cable TV do not have universal availablilty.

Anonymous said...

You don't seem to realize that you are taking it for granted. I PRAY for the day that broadband becomes available here. It makes me angry that you think I'm primitive for using something that's the only choice.

Anonymous said...

That is an unfair assumption to say that dial-up is a choice. A study done by the Pew Internet & American Life Project shows only 42% of Americans are using broadband. Which causes one to ponder why the other 58% still use dial-up. This answer is given easily with just simple thought.

Even though I love my cable highspeed, not everywhere has broadband. Sparsely populated areas such as rural and temporary homestead areas (Native reserves and trailer parks.) have no infrastructures or plans for infrastruture to accomodate broadband. To build that means to install expensive optic lines. Cable and phone companies wouldn't be able to make up the cost and would need government subsidies. I don't know about you, but I don't want another chunk taken off of a paycheck just so I can play Unreal tournament with some joker in Arkansas.

The other options are satelite and HSDPA/MTS. These sound great but satelite is only a few times faster than 56k because of shared bandwidth and requires the subscriber to buy/rent/lease expensive hardware. The 3G cell networks sound good, but have the same problem as all other broadband when it comes to availabilty, not to mention subscription fees.

So until you're ready to shell out the extra money so that SOMEONE ELSE can run broadband, just accept that less than half of America know life after AOL.